Posted by Danielle Harvey on 24 December 2022
As we all start clutching our pennies a little bit tighter, we're asking the experts for some tricks to make a beauty product last for longer. No more splashing on our perfume with 1,000 spritz a day, Fragrance Expert and Head of Marketing at The Fragrance Shop, Iember Gordon reveals how we can make a couple spritzes last all day, and our perfumes have a longer lifespan.
1. Apply perfume right after your shower "The best time to spray perfume on your skin is right after your shower. This is because moisture gives your scent something to hold on to, so spraying your signature scent on after your skin has been freshly washed boosts its staying power."
2. Moisturise skin before application "For situations where you can't have a shower before going from desk to dancefloor, use an unscented moisturiser on your skin before you apply perfume. This will help lock the fragrance in better as it gives a moist skin impression."
3. Spray or dab onto bare skin "Keep fabric and clothing away from skin as this can obstruct your fragrance. Perfume smells best and lasts longest when able to meld with the natural oils of your body."
4. Apply to pulse points "Fragrance reacts to heat and applying to your pulse points can help release scent throughout the day. Try spritzing the nape of your neck, insides of your elbows, wrists, and the back of your knees."
5. Smear Vaseline on pulse points before applying "If you need some extra life out of your fragrance, rub a small amount of Vaseline onto your pulse points before application. The balm will act as an additional moisturising lock for the scent, helping it last even longer."
6. Don't rub the fragrance in "Rubbing your wrists together after applying fragrance, breaks down the chemicals and causes top notes to break down faster than they would have otherwise. Either spray or gently dab it onto your skin."
7. Spray fragrance onto your hairbrush "Sometimes the scent of hair products can overpower the scent of your fragrance. Try spraying your favourite fragrance on your hairbrush and brush it through dry hair, creating a more encompassing fragrance that lasts longer. Don't spritz directly onto your hair as the alcohol can cause damage to the hair."
8. Line your drawers or wardrobe with perfume to subtly scent clothing "If you have a signature scent, you can get your clothing to smell like it as well. Line your drawers with tissue paper that has been spritzed a few times and allow the scent to permeate the fabrics."
9. Store your perfume in a cool, dark place "Fragrance can break down in fluctuating temperatures or humidity. Instead of storing your scents in the bathroom or on your desks, bedside tables etc, keep it in a cool drawer away from direct sunlight."
10. Don't shake your perfume bottle "Shaking the perfume bottle can allow air to saturate and infuse your fragrance, which can also alter its chemical makeup and shorten its lifespan."
Why do some fragrances last longer?
"Some fragrances naturally last longer than others, both on the skin and in the bottle. Perfume and cologne are sold in different concentrations meaning there are different ratios of fragrance oil to alcohol.
"The more concentrated forms, like pure Parfum, will cost the most and last the longest, whilst the less concentrated versions like an Eau De Toilette, will cost less and the spritz won't last as long. "Perfumes with more prominent base notes will also have a longer scent life than those with prominent top notes. Base notes such as vanilla, amber, musk, patchouli, moss, sandalwood and cedarwood sink into your skin so the scent lingers the longest. Fragrances such as Coach Original EDT 50ml £46, Dsquared2 Wood Pour Femme Eau De Toilette 50ml £59, and Jennifer Lopez One EDP 50ml £35. Perfumes with lighter prominent base notes are more volatile. The more volatile your scent, the quicker it is likely to expire. This includes citrus, floral, and green scents."
Five ways to stay fit and healthy with a hectic work schedule
A hectic work schedule can often mean that other parts of our lives our pushed to the...
Face your volume and fine hair challenges head on with Alterna
Many of us struggle with the fact our hair lacks volume or that it feels and looks...
Jo Malone's new Blossoms Collection is set to stun this spring
Jo Malone London's wonderful new scent offering for spring is The Blossoms Collection....
Wedding workouts: Top tips for getting fit before your big day
Everyone wants to look and feel their best on their big day, so if you're planning a...